Cold, Partly Cloudy 54° to start, Mostly Cloudy, Breezy, 61° to finish. Winds Northwest 5 kts, becoming 10-15 kts with gusts to 25 kts in the afternoon. Seas Calm, becoming Choppy.
Distance traveled: 41.3 nautical miles
Time underway: 4 hours 30minutes
Average Speed: 9.1 kts
Max Speed: 10.3 kts
Weather dictates how and when you move more than most people realize. With the winds light in the morning and picking up to possible gale force by afternoon, we decided to do another short hop today to Deltaville. Since the weather forecast was for winds to increase during the day, we were on the move by 6:30 am. (it doesn’t sound too bad until you realize that you have to get up by 5:30 am to do that.)
Since we left the ICW and were in the Chesapeake Bay, we were hoping to not have to deal with too much wind, waves and chop. As usual, we had to have some mechanical malfunction. The stabilizer is leaking oil on the port side. We already had this happen on the starboard stabilizer and had to replace the ram. Filling the oil doesn’t work because it immediately leaks back out. Oh joy!
In addition, John informed me last night that the engines are using more oil than normal. He can not seem to figure that one out. We already have the Caterpillar specialist scheduled to look at the engines when we return to Maryland, we just need to get there!
Mother Nature was looking down favorably on us, the Chesapeake Bay today was nice and calm and the winds held off until after we were safely docked in Deltaville. Then, as if on clockwork, the winds started to pick up. Now that we’ve tied off, winds are blowing steady 15 knots out of the southeast and forecast to increase during the night. If we’re lucky, we’ll be able to get out of here and move on up to Solomons Island. We’ll see in the morning.