Conditions: Partly cloudy, muggy, but 73° to start; Clouds and Sun, 80° to finish. Northeast winds 10-15 kts, seas light chop
Distance traveled: 44 nautical miles
Time underway: 5 hours 45 minutes
Average Speed: 7.7 kts
Max Speed: 9.3 kts
Originally, we were going to stay a couple days in St. Augustine, however, much to my disappointment, the Captains decided to move further south and off mooring due to the forecast winds coming.
We un-moored (is that a word?) at 6:20 am and were on our way. Again, beating the sun up, this is becoming a thing and I am not fond of it!
Again we passed some stunning homes, saw some dolphins and played hopscotch with the same boats from the past week or so.
Not far out of St. Augustine, one of the boats that we’ve been at dock with and been passed by ran hard aground. He actually went on the wrong side of a red marker. I am not sure if he didn’t see it (the sun was right in our eyes at that point) or what happened but John radioed to see if he was ok and he indicated that he could not navigate off the shoal. High tide wouldn’t be for another 3 hours so, he either needed to wait it out or call a tow boat. (I did not name the boat, on purpose since we were in his position not long ago, and could sympathize!)
We ran into some rain showers and then a double rainbow!
Overall, the rest of the trip was uneventful (thank goodness!), and we made it to Daytona Beach by noon.